Many years ago we used to visit a cafe in Burleigh that had the most delicious zucchini bacon muffins. I hinted that I would love the recipe ..but it was a well-kept secret. So I set off on a quest to produce a delicious savoury muffin, only mine would contain plenty of herbs and omit the bacon.
I made quite a lot of muffins before I was completely satisfied with my recipe. Then I tested them on bus groups, workshops and garden club days for morning tea and they were very popular.
Served hot with tasty herb & mustard butter they make the perfect addition to a morning tea, brekkie on the run, kids lunchbox or anytime savoury snack. Yummo!!!
Shop the Herbs Featured in this Recipe
The below herbs are best for our Savoury Herb Muffins recipe. Feel free to experiment with flavours though! The Herb Garden is your oyster 🌿
Savoury Herb Muffins
Want to know how to make the yummiest savoury herb muffins? I've spent quite a while refining this recipe, and I reckon these are the best Herb Muffins out! Enjoy these muffins with our favourite Herb Butter recipe, which you can see in the video here.
2tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1sml onion, chopped
1tbsp chopped capsicum
1/2 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup grated carrot
1tbsp chopped thyme
1tbsp chopped parsley
1tbsp chopped chives
1 cup grated tasty cheese
2 cups self-raising flour
1lge egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to moderately hot.
- Grease 12 hole muffin tin or 2 x 12 mini muffin tins
Cook chopped onion in 2tsp of veg oil until soft.
- In a large bowl mix together capsicum, zucchini, carrot, fresh herbs, grated cheese, cooked onion and pepper stir gently to combine.
- Sift flour into the bowl, stir gently mix all ingredients.
In another bowl mix egg, 1/2 cup oil and milk.
- Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Spoon into muffin pan and sprinkle with cracked pepper and sesame seeds.
- Bake in oven for 20 - 25min.
- Serve with herb butter or pesto.