Living on a herb farm certainly has its perks, one of them being - LOTS of leafy greens. Today I’m going to share one of our favourite springtime salads. It's a bit bitter, but if you like bitter - this one’s for you! You can watch the video, or read on for the recipe below.
Springtime is the perfect time to replace heavy winter foods with cleansing and detoxifying salad greens like the ones found in this salad. Let's take a look at how leafy greens effect our digestion and provide fibre. If you'd like to learn more about some alternative salad greens, check out our blog on the best herbal salad leaves.
Bitter herbs stimulate digestive secretions from saliva in the mouth, stomach acid and throughout the digestive system. They stimulate the liver and gallbladder to produce bile which helps us digest fat and access fat-soluble vitamins as well as helping to rid the body of wastes that the body cannot use. Bitter herbs are best taken before the main meal to enhance the digestive process.
Lots of deep leafy greens mean lots of fibre. Fibre is only found in the cell walls of plants and is essential for healthy bowel function, helping to prevent constipation, haemorrhoids (piles), diverticular disease and cancer of the colon or large bowel. The feeling of fullness that fibre produces can help people who are trying to lose weight to control their appetite.
THE BEST HERBS FOR DETOX SALADS:
- Wild Rocket - an intense and pungent flavour.
- Dandelion - bitter and tangy leaf and a beautiful flower.
- Chicory Red Dandelion - a bitter and nutty addition to any salad.
- Nasturtium Empress of India - A peppery bite in its leaves and flowers.
- Endive - Slightly bitter and looks great in your salad bowl.
- Chicory Palla Rosa - a bitter crunch and some colour.
- Watercress - super nutritious and spicy.
Spring Detox Salad
Cut a garlic clove in half, and rub the salad bowl with the clove. This adds a gentle hint of garlic to the salad.
- Add all your salad leaves to the salad bowl, tearing any large leaves and removing tough stalks. Some watercress stalks add a nice crunch.
- Garnish with a few Dandelion and Nasturtium flowers for some colour.
- Slice the red onion and scatter over the salad.
- And then Drizzle the olive oil and the lemon or lime juice over the salad - mix lightly. Enjoy!